Make a “Map Skills” session even more fun by giving it a pirate theme!
Arrgh, me hearties! Shiver me timbers!
Pirates give a great theme for an introduction to maps. Sessions content includes:
– Look at different sorts of map a pirate would have used.
– Make a giant map of Treasure Island from ropes to look at directions of travel to the buried treasure.
– How a pirate would have used a compass to sail the seven seas (and how could find his way if he had mislaid it)
– See how a pirate would have used counting paces to measure the distance to his ill-gotten gains.
– Mini-orienteering becomes using a treasure map to search for “pieces of eight” hidden around your school site!
Why not make a session the central part of a Pirate Day!
Sessions content can be tailored to be appropriate for any age and all equipment is provided.